There’s lots to love about Govee’s lightstrip, particularly by way of shiny, colourful visuals, however occasional platform disconnects and a few Matter hurdles means you would possibly need to wait till extra choices turn into out there.
Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 evaluate: At a look
- What’s it? The Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 is an improve of present Govee lightstrips that makes it the corporate’s first product with common pairing by way of Matter. It really works equally nicely with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, or Google Residence, or you may merely depend on the Govee Residence app.
- What’s the worth? Govee lists a 5m/16.4ft model of the LED Strip Gentle M1 for $99.99 within the US, £119.99 within the UK, and €119.99 in continental Europe, however often affords substantial reductions. If yow will discover them, smaller kits must be cheaper.
- The place can you purchase it? You should purchase the Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 direct from Govee, and thru varied third-party retailers like Amazon.
- How did we check it? I examined a shorter, 2m/6.56ft model of the Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 for one week, paired with Alexa, HomeKit, and Google Residence. The evaluate unit was provided by Govee.
- Is it price it? The Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 is a shiny and enticing lightstrip that pairs with all three main good dwelling platforms, however past Matter assist and a few Govee Residence options, there’s nothing particular and you could encounter technical points. That mentioned, it will do the job if yow will discover it at a suitable worth.
Do you have to purchase the Govee LED Strip Gentle M1?
Roger Fingas / Android Authority
Though the Matter 1.0 spec first launched in late 2022, suitable good dwelling equipment have been gradual to roll out. That’s very true with lightstrips — actually, the one different Matter-compatible strip in the marketplace as of the M1’s launch is Nanoleaf’s Important Matter mannequin. That product additionally requires a Thread border router, so Govee’s Wi-Fi-based strip is a giant deal.
After setup within the Govee Residence app, I efficiently used Matter to pair with Alexa, HomeKit, and Google Residence, however there have been some hiccups. For instance, I began with HomeKit, however the Matter QR code taped to our check strip was so small that the Apple Residence app couldn’t scan it. And not using a bodily copy anyplace else, the one choices have been to learn the numeric code from that tape or pull a code up in Govee Residence. I additionally needed to swap from an iPhone to an Android telephone to pair with Google Residence, since Google has but to allow Matter pairing on iOS. Even on Android, it took just a few tries to pair.
The Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 typically behaves such as you’d count on in paired platforms, together with automation assist and voice management. It doesn’t assist platform-specific options like HomeKit’s Adaptive Lighting, however you do have customary management over brightness and (strong) colours. You’ll have to make use of the Govee Residence app to set off multi-color results, the excellent news being that there are many presets and full customization.
Govee’s lightstrip actually delivers in output. Whereas the corporate appears oddly detest to share max lumen rankings, it will get as shiny as you could possibly need, and its shade is each correct and well-saturated. Visually, actually, I most popular it to Nanoleaf’s strip which I additionally examined not too long ago.
The Govee M1 is the one Wi-Fi lightstrip with Matter proper now.
Sadly, just a few issues cease the Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 from getting a full suggestion. Above all are technical points — apart from Matter quirks, the lightstrip often misplaced contact with a number of good dwelling platforms throughout testing, regardless of my having an Eero Professional 6E router simply inches away. I used to be in a position to drive it to reconnect by unplugging the strip for a second and plugging it again in, however this made the Govee Residence app or the included distant essentially the most dependable management choices, considerably defeating the purpose of a Matter-enabled product.
It additionally suffers from its reliance on Wi-Fi. It’s noticeably slower to react than lights based mostly on Thread or Zigbee, and naturally, you’ll want a Wi-Fi router that’s each in vary and never overly saturated with connections. Nonetheless, when you have a Matter controller (like an Echo or Google Nest speaker) however nothing that helps Thread, that is your solely Matter-compatible possibility for now.
Lastly, I’ll word that I wasn’t impressed by Govee’s music sync choices. You’ll be able to solely sync out of your telephone or the distant’s built-in speaker, and all of Govee’s sync patterns appear to imagine you’re listening to high-energy pop, rock, rap, or EDM. When listening to genres like ambient or energy electronics, the flickering brought on by music sync initially made me suppose the M1 was damaged.
Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 (16.4ft)
Common Matter pairing • Vibrant and colourful • Comparatively inexpensive
The M1 lightstrip is Govee’s first-ever good mild with Matter.
Govee has upgraded its customary lightstrip with Matter, permitting it to pair with all main good dwelling platforms together with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, and Google Residence. Some particular options can be found solely within the Govee Residence app.
What are one of the best Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 alternate options?
Roger Fingas / Android Authority
There are many good lightstrips in the marketplace, but just a few match the invoice of being each high-quality and supporting all three main good dwelling platforms. So far as pricing goes, word that the entire costs under are for strips within the six- to seven-foot vary.
- Nanoleaf Necessities Matter Lightstrip ($148.99 at Amazon): The Nanoleaf Necessities Matter lightstrip requires each a Matter controller and a Thread border router, however with these in tow, you’ll get faster response and the advantages of Thread’s mesh expertise. We did have bother getting Matter pairing to work with Google Residence.
- Philips Hue Lightstrip Plus (€2199 at Amazon): This Philips Hue strip is decidedly costlier, not the least as a result of it requires a Zigbee-based Hue Bridge/Sensible Hub should you don’t have one. Hue merchandise are famously dependable although, and also you’ll get Alexa, HomeKit, and Google Residence assist with out Matter.
- LIFX Lightstrip ($279.99 at Samsung): The LIFX lighstrip might be your most suitable option if you need a Wi-Fi strip that provides Alexa, HomeKit, and Google Residence compatibility sans Matter. It does include the downsides of Wi-Fi, and stays pricier than Govee or Nanoleaf’s choices relative to size.
Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 evaluate: Q&A
Sure. As with most good lightstrips, the Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 has pre-marked cutpoints. You’ll be able to’t reattach reduce sections, a minimum of not with out soldering instruments.
The longest base package for the Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 is 16.4 ft (about 5m), however extension kits can be found.
We advocate Philips Hue lightstrips for his or her reliability, although they’re costly, particularly since they require a hub. There are different perks that may justify Hue, similar to sync with Spotify or Razer Chroma.
The Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 does have Bluetooth for pairing, but it surely primarily connects by way of 2.4GHz Wi-Fi. You’ll additionally see the Govee Residence app set up a Bluetooth hyperlink whenever you’re shut by.
The Govee LED Strip Gentle M1 isn’t, however the firm does make out of doors lightstrips. You’ll have to purchase a kind of for waterproofing.