Posted by Florina Muntenescu, Developer Relations Engineer
From updates to Jetpack libraries, extra steerage on utilizing Kotlin coroutines and Move in your android app and new variations of Android Studio, listed below are the highest 3 issues it is best to know:
#1 Jetpack function updates
We’ve been working so as to add the options you’ve been asking us for in a number of Jetpack libraries, listed below are a number of highlights:
- Navigation brings a number of backstacks assist—no code replace wanted, simply be sure you use the newest model.
- WorkManager, our really helpful answer for persistent work, makes it simpler to deal with Android 12 background restrictions, including assist for expedited jobs
- Room provides auto-migration and multi-map relations.
- DataStore, our coroutines primarily based alternative for SharedPreferences, has reached 1.0.
- Macrobenchmark, a software to measure and enhance startup and body efficiency, added simplified and extra correct body timing, and compatibility again to Android M
However if you wish to deep dive, it is best to actually try: WorkManager – again to the foreground – the place you’ll study all concerning the newest APIs and options.
#2 Kotlin and Move utilization
Coroutines are the really helpful answer for asynchronous work and Kotlin Move is the apparent alternative for managing streams of knowledge in Android apps. To learn to use Flows in follow, try this Android Dev Summit session:
The discuss additionally covers necessary issues like learn how to cease accumulating from the UI when it’s not wanted, utilizing the newly secure lifecycle-aware coroutines APIs: repeatOnLifecycle and flowWithLifecycle.
#3 Android Studio and LiveEdit for Jetpack Compose
Within the Android Studio world, Arctic Fox is secure, Bumblebee is in Beta and Chipmunk is in Canary, all of them bringing a bunch of recent options for Jetpack Compose and Materials You, developer productiveness and 12L and enormous screens.
The What’s new in Android Studio discuss is a should see, particularly the sneak peek demo of LiveEdit. LiveEdit is a generalization of dwell modifying of literals, the place you get to edit extra common situations than simply constants and strings: you’ll be able to remark out components of the UI, reorder composable calls and see the outcome on the telephone in milliseconds. However, we need to be sure that this function is basically proper earlier than we embrace it in Android Studio, so keep tuned for it within the subsequent releases.
You need extra? Then sit again, calm down and watch the total Trendy Android Growth playlist.