Posted by Clara Bayarri, Engineering Supervisor
This yr’s Android Dev Summit introduced numerous updates associated to Giant Display improvement for Android, the 12L characteristic drop on foldables and tablets – a set of options optimising Android 12 for giant screens, higher developer instruments and updates to Google Play purpose-built for giant screens. Listed here are the highest 3 issues you need to know:
#1: The 12L characteristic drop for giant screens
12L makes Android 12 even higher on Giant Display gadgets, with a bunch of latest refined UI throughout surfaces corresponding to notifications and the lock display. An important bulletins for builders included
- A renewed emphasis on multitasking. This implies all apps can now enter cut up display mode, no matter whether or not they’re resizeable or not.
- New enhancements to compatibility mode
- New Exercise Embedding APIs that help you present a number of actions aspect by aspect, making it simpler to construct giant display optimized layouts in present apps
To search out out extra about what’s new, take a look at the What’s new for giant screens and foldables video and developer.android.com/12L .
#2: Making it simpler to construct for Giant Screens
Android has supported Giant Screens for a very long time, however we introduced a number of new instruments that can assist you scale up your app’s UI to bigger kind elements.
- New Materials Design Steering focused at giant screens, together with a definition of frequent structure patterns prevalent within the ecosystem to assist encourage your app’s design
- Window Measurement Lessons, a brand new framework of breakpoints designed to signify the most typical kind elements within the ecosystem you need to design and develop for
- Updates to SlidingPaneLayout, the View element for two pane layouts, to help Navigation
- New Compose APIs that make creating adaptive and responsive UI quite simple, together with Navigation Rail help
- Android Studio reference gadgets, a brand new set of machine profiles that signify the widest vary attainable of gadgets within the ecosystem to check for
- Visible Lint dropped at Android Studio Structure Validation to detect points with giant display layouts
- A model new Resizeable Emulator that may shortly toggle between the reference gadgets
Be taught extra about all these things within the Constructing Android UIs for Any Display Measurement and Design stunning apps on foldables and enormous screens talks, and take a look at the most recent Giant Display information and Construct adaptive layouts in Compose information for extra. It’s also possible to take a look at Greatest practices for video apps on foldable gadgets and Spotify Throughout Screens for examples on how apps are making this journey.
#3: Google Play updates for Giant Screens
To assist customers discover the perfect apps on tablets, foldables and ChromeOS gadgets, we’ve bought new modifications in Play to suggest apps optimized for the big display. This consists of new checks to assess app high quality, so we are able to characteristic giant display optimized apps and replace search rankings to indicate the very best apps for these gadgets. We may even be introducing giant display particular app rankings, so customers will be capable to price how your app works on their giant display gadgets.
You’ll find all of this yr’s Android Dev Summit talks associated to Giant Screens on this playlist, and the total checklist of bulletins for Giant Screens in our weblog put up.